Careers / Internships
It's an Exciting Time to Join
the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum!
The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum (BMNSM) is seeking applicants for the position of Facility Manager. BMNSM is a non-profit educational organization, a natural history museum with a primary focus on shells, mollusks, the ecosystems of mollusks, and conservation. The Museum opened its renowned Great Hall of Shells exhibit in 1995, became accredited by the American Alliance of Museums in 2010, and in 2020 opened the Beyond Shells Living Gallery of aquariums. The aquariums exhibit over 60 species of temperate and tropical living marine life including fish, corals, anemones, and a wide range of mollusks such as Giant Pacific Octopus, Flamboyant Cuttle, Red Abalone, Giant Clam, and many more. In addition to the Great Hall of Shells and the aquariums, the Museum includes a gallery for changing exhibitions, a gift shop, admissions lobby, and small auditorium and classroom.
BMNSM welcomes 50,000-60,000 visitors annually, has a staff of 20, and is located on beautiful Sanibel Island, a sanctuary barrier island that is 70% conserved and considered one of the top beach and shelling destinations in the world. The Facility Manager is responsible for performing and/or coordinating the general maintenance of the Museum’s approximately 15,000 square-foot building and surrounding campus. (Primary responsibility for maintenance of the aquarium systems specifically is with Aquarists on staff.) The Facility Manager reports to the Director of Finance and Operations, and the position may be either part-time or full-time based on the individual’s skills and experience.
Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum
3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957
• Maintain the building’s various HVAC systems (Filter changes, minor cleaning, monitoring for issues)
• Maintain the Museum’s permanent exhibits in the Great Hall of Shells
• Work with staff to prepare and install temporary exhibits (minor carpentry, painting, coordinating with vendors)
• Basic maintenance of plumbing (bathrooms, drains, water heaters, condensate lines)
• Basic maintenance of electrical systems (lighting, ballasts, electrical outlets)
• Attention to minor landscape needs in proximity of the Museum building; coordinate with the Museum’s contracted landscape maintenance service
• Assist aquarium staff with issues as they arise (changing pumps, plumbing, wiring)
• Coordinate with vendors as needed to ensure proper repair, service, and larger maintenance projects (chilled loops water maintenance, HVAC, security systems, elevator, waste management, etc.)
• Some cleaning when needed; coordinate with the Museum’s contracted custodial service
• Central, proactive participation on the Museum’s Hurricane Preparedness Team
• Other tasks as requested
• Ability to perform basic repairs/maintenance of HVAC systems, plumbing, electrical systems, and all-around building maintenance
• Highly organized and able to complete task in a timely manner
• Ability to effectively communicate with staff, vendors, and Museum visitors
• Integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
• Excellent attention to detail
• A sense of humor and interest in marine animals is a plus!
• Minimum 24 hours/week with immediate possibility for up to 40 hours/week based on skills and experience. Extra hours may be needed during emergencies, during exhibit changes, or in relation to special events.
Please email letter of interest, resume, and three references to Ryan Powell, Director of Finance and Operations: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum is an Equal-Opportunity Employer.