top of page

Careers + Internships

keeper chats.JPG

Current Opportunities

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES IN MARINE BIOLOGY AND ANIMAL HUSBANDRY

Summary:
The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum (BMNSM) currently offers internships in Marine Biology and Animal Husbandry during the summer months and at other times of year depending on circumstances.  

Interns have the opportunity to work with experienced Marine Biologists, Educators and Aquarists to learn about mollusk biology, ecology, taxonomy, and how to care for saltwater aquariums and the living animals they house. Interns also gain valuable public speaking and education skills while interacting with visitors at the Touch Pools or during public feedings and Keeper Chats. 

BMNSM is a nationally accredited natural history museum dedicated to malacology, the study of mollusks. The ground floor includes 11 saltwater aquariums which display over 60 species of marine life. All aquariums feature living mollusks. The second floor of the Museum includes a space for rotating exhibits, auditoriums for classes and movies, and The Great Hall of Shells. The Museum welcomes 50,000-60,000 visitors annually. 


Marine Biology Internship
Interns spend approximately 75% of their time educating guests at the Touch Pools and in the Living Gallery (aquarium). The Warm Water Touch Pool houses local (Southwest Florida) mollusks, while the Cold Water Touch Pool houses mollusks from the Pacific Northwest. Touch Pool docents are responsible for guiding visitors through the touch pool experience by instructing and supervising proper touching techniques, identifying animals, explaining basic mollusk biology, and answering questions. This is a paid internship. 

Learning Outcomes:
•    Invertebrate animal (mollusks) biology and husbandry
•    Public speaking to individuals and small groups
•    Museum programing 
•    Aquarium care
•    Water quality testing


Competencies:
•    Oral Communication
•    Professionalism/Work Ethic
•    Career Management
•    Global/Intercultural Fluency


Time Requirements: 
•    Minimum hours: 20 hours per week, for 10 weeks. 
•    Minimum 9:00am – 1:00pm two days per week. Longer shifts or more than 2 days per week are necessary to meet minimum time requirements, this is flexible depending on Intern’s schedule.


Qualifications:
•    Preference given to currently enrolled or recent college graduate in Marine Biology or related field.


Animal Husbandry Internship
Animal Husbandry Interns spend approximately 90% of their time caring for aquariums, including cleaning, feeding, water quality testing, water changes, algae scrubbing, etc. The other 10% of time will be spent engaging with guests. This is an unpaid internship. 

Learning Outcomes:
•    Invertebrate animal (mollusks) biology and husbandry
•    Aquarium care
•    Water quality testing
•    Public speaking to individuals and small groups
•    Museum programing 


Competencies:
•    Oral Communication
•    Professionalism/Work Ethic
•    Career Management
•    Global/Intercultural Fluency


Time Requirements: 
•    Minimum hours: 8 hours per week, for 10 weeks. 
•    Minimum 8:00am – 12:00pm two days per week. 


Qualifications:
•    Preference given to currently enrolled or recent college graduate in Marine Biology or related field.

To learn more or apply for Internships at BMNSM:
Contact and/or send resume and cover letter to Senior Marine Biologist, Rebecca Mensch at rmensch@shellmuseum.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.

The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum is an Equal-Opportunity Employer. 

Volunteer Opportunities also available at ShellMuseum.org/volunteer

bottom of page